Founded in 1946
Vanguard College was founded in 1946, known as Canadian Northwest Bible Institute (CNBI), the vision of D.N. Buntain; the first class enrolled forty students and employed six part-time staff. Classes were held in the original Central Pentecostal Tabernacle building in Edmonton, located on 108 Street. The only program available at that time was a three year Bible diploma program.
Northwest Bible College
CNBI was renamed Northwest Bible College (NBC) in 1964. The college continued to use the facilities of Central Pentecostal Tabernacle when they relocated to 116St and 106Ave until 2004 when Northwest Bible College became Vanguard College and purchase a facility of its own, the beautifully restored H.A. Gray School on 121Ave and 103St.
Dates In History
Some other interesting points in Vanguard’s history would be 1981 when the first 1-year certificate was offered, 1986 when the first Bachelor of Theology degree was granted. In 1999 a sister campus was opened in Calgary which was later closed in 2006. Full accreditation with the Association of Biblical Higher Education was achieved in 2001.
In 2002 the distance learning component of Vanguard was birthed. International Biblical Online Leadership Training (IBOLT) is a separate entity but a definite compliment to the college.
Vanguard College continues to develop innovative, Spirit-filled leaders with over 200 students studying full-time, more than twenty full time staff and faculty, as well as numerous adjunct faculty and part-time staff. Students today can choose from a variety of one through four-year programs in a variety of disciplines in order to prepare themselves for ministry.