Bachelor of Theology
(Pastoral Care & Counselling)
"Building healthy students who provide quality care from the basis of emotional wholeness and spiritual passion."
The Pastoral Care & Counselling program is designed to develop leaders who provide effective care to those in need. Students are taught to develop pastoral counselling skills to help others with issues such as mental health, spiritual struggles, and addictions. The journey includes personal development, theoretical instruction, and practical experience in pastoral counselling.
PASTORAL CARE AND COUNSELLING PROGRAM OBJECTIVES
- Develop self-awareness and strategies for coping with personal issues that have potential to impede the delivery of quality pastoral care and counselling.
- Develop a worldview that guides the integration of contemporary counselling theory and biblical theology.
- Develop a biblical understanding of people as well as common areas of struggle that directs the practice of pastoral leadership and counselling.
- Develop excellent counselling skills including the ability to assess which situations need to be referred to a clinical professional.
- Gain practical experience in ministries that care for individuals who struggle.
OVER THE FOUR-YEAR DEGREE:
Year 1: Rooted in Relationship
- Understanding scripture, theology, ourselves, and our roots. Developing our walk with Jesus.
Year 2: Cultivating Care
- Learning to understand and care well for others. Building a knowledge base of biblical and relational understanding.
Year 3: Learning to Listen
- Refining counselling and leadership skills
Year 4: Integration
- Integrating theology, knowledge, skills, and relationship with Jesus into biblical and high-quality pastoral care and counselling.