Bachelor of Theology
(Children's & Family)
TRANSFORM A CHILD… TRANSFORM A FAMILY…
TRANSFORM A GENERATION
The Children and Family Ministry (CFM) Program, develops leaders who are intentional about engaging in ministry with children and families in creative and innovative ways, all through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Highlights of your time here include starting the year off hearing from God and getting to know your fellow students in a fun and relaxed atmosphere at our annual Encounter retreat in September. It continues when you are introduced to and taught by several children’s and family ministry professionals, and when you apply classroom knowledge in real ministry situations as you minister in your practicum to children all over Alberta. Another high point of your time here is helping plan and execute a complete spring break day camp for children in a local church.
Academically, you will gain skills and knowledge to help launch you into a career in this field through nine program-specific courses, ranging from Curriculum Design and Development and Teaching Methods & Theories of Learning to Child Development and Children at Risk. Your leadership and volunteer management skills are honed during your three practicums and a four-month long internship. Upper year students will plan every aspect of a week-long day camp for children in a local church, then train and lead a team of first-year students to execute your plan.
Throughout their time at Vanguard, students enrolled in the Children and Family Ministry Program can expect to:
- Professionally and competently serve the children, families and volunteers in a local church or parachurch organization.
- Engage in ministry with children and their families in creative and innovative ways.
- Primarily function as – but not limited to – pastors to children and their families and who are able to work effectively as part of a pastoral staff team.
- Partner with and support parents in their role as the primary spiritual leaders of their children.
- Advocate for the role of children in the church and equip churches to fully welcome children into their congregations.
- Effectively communicate biblical and theological truths to children.
The design of our program flows out of three core values:
- Not just education, but TRAINING.
- Not just fellowship, but COMMUNITY.
- Not just children’s ministry, but PASTORAL MINISTRY.
Graduates of our certificate and degree programs currently serve as children’s pastors or ministry leaders in local churches across Canada and around the world. Others serve in staff positions in daycares or out-of-school care programs. Still more have gone on to pursue further academic study. The career options are wide open for you! Where do you think God is leading you? How can we help you get there?