We are called to be disciples of Jesus and to further His Kingdom by making disciples. Through this year at Vanguard, you will have the opportunity to pursue Him through His Word, developing His Heart, and being part of His Mission around the world!
Pursue is a 1-year Discipleship Program that focuses on foundational Biblical and Theological principles through College level courses. Students will have uniquely designed discipleship course time which will focus on developing spiritual disciplines, practical personal care, and leadership skills and abilities. Through this year students will serve as an active disciple of Christ through ministry opportunities, and projects.
This coming year (2019/2020) the Pursue team will be going to Vancouver (to work with unreached people in the inner city), newcomers to Canada and overseas for 5 weeks. Overseas location to be countries throughout Europe!
- Working with students in Edmonton that are newcomers to Canada
- Working with unreached people groups on Downtown East Hasting Street in Vancouver.
- Serving in a variety of capacities in Rural Alberta & Inner City Edmonton
Mentorship/Leadership/Discipleship Specific Opportunities:
- One-on-one Personal Mentorship
- Leadership Profile Development
- Practicing Spiritual Disciplines and developing routine for personal daily life
- Frontier Lodge Retreat (Hiking, Repelling, Mountain Biking, Cave Exploring, Worship, Messages, Community and much more!) - Last week of August
- Local Edmonton Attractions (Corn Maze Night, Movie Nights, Board Game Nights, etc.)
- Small Groups
- Retreats and Serving Opportunities
Throughout their time at Vanguard, students enrolled in the Pursue Program can expect to:
- Gain foundational Biblical and Theological principles through College level courses.
- Develop spiritual disciplines, practical personal care, and leadership skills and abilities.
- Serve as an active disciple of Christ through ministry opportunities, and projects.
- Introduction to college-level learning through five accredited/transferrable courses.
- Teach skills in reading the Bible well; initial skills contextualizing; Knowing the broad message of the Bible; what God has done in Jesus’ life and ministry, death and resurrection, and what God will do to bring Jesus’ saving mission to a consummation. Critical thinking; skills in thinking/reading/interpreting.
- Teach about the trustworthiness/respectability of basing your life on biblical truth; relevance of Scripture.
- Faith seeking understanding.
- His heart develops your character; Be seen for what it is; you will embody the convictions of your character; Discerning what you love/worship; Practices/rituals.
- Relating to others; having fun together; Being mentored; relating to authority; Receiving the wisdom of others; wisdom to know when to confront and when to leave things alone; Belonging to a community; not separating from others.
- Taking care of your own heart; knowing when to pay attention; Self learning is the hardest learning; processing pain.
- Furthering the purposes of God's kingdom rather than our own interests.
- Focus on the unreached; those far from God; Acts of mercy/serving; Doing good; justice.
- Spiritual gifts; gaining confidence in their abilities; accomplishments; exploring calling and obedience; next choices/decisions.
- Applying the concepts of the Word and cares of the Heart; Faith with works.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any questions regarding Pursue, please contact Enrolment Services. Some questions are answered below.