- You must have a definite experience of Christian conversion, with current evidence of faith in Christ and regular attendance at a local church for at least one year.
- You must portray evidence of sound Christian character and live in accordance with guidelines and standards set out in our Community Standards.
Part of the application process includes acknowledging that you have read and agree to adhere to the Community Conduct Standards of Vanguard College.
English Language Proficiency
The language of instruction and communication at Vanguard College is English. Proof of English proficiency is an important part of the application process for all applicants to Vanguard College.
*The Admissions Office reserves the right to request proof of English proficiency from any applicant (regardless of citizenship, country of origin, or first language at any time during the review process)
Applicants from Alberta
Applicants from Alberta must have achieved a valid high school diploma with the completion of a Grade 12 English with a minimum grade of 65% to gain entrance into a diploma or degree program.
Students with a Grade 12 English result of 50-64% are welcome to apply for a Certificate program or the Pursue Discipleship program and will be considered on a case by case basis. Upon successful completion of these programs, students are eligible to apply for continuance into a degree program.
Students coming from other post-secondary institutions must provide transcripts indicating good academic standing and a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Applicants from other Provinces or Territories
The following are the standings acceptable as equivalent to Alberta High School Diploma:
- Grade 12 English from British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland Labrador, Northwest Territories, Ontario, Nunavut, and Yukon.
- DEC at a French CEGEP in Quebec and the Quebec Secondary V diploma.
- DEC at an English CEGEP in Quebec
- Quebec students entering without CEGEP will be accepted into a certificate program until the successful completion of the freshman year, at which time they may register for a degree.
*Minimum grade requirements are unchanged from Alberta applicant standards
Applicants from the United States
Applicants from the United States must give evidence of possessing a valid Grade 12 diploma with a minimum final average of 60%. They should submit scores on the American College Test (ACT) or the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) if available.
Mature Student Status
Applicants 21 years of age or older on Registration Day, who have been away from formal education for a minimum of two years and who can demonstrate their ability to undertake college-level studies are eligible to complete the application process. Each applicant will be considered on an individual basis.
All Mature Students Applicants are required to provide an Official Transcript showing completion of (Grade 12 English) or their equivalencies before they may be admitted to a Diploma or Degree Program of Study.
The best option is to present results of standardized testing, such as Provincial Departmental results, ACT with a minumum score of 20, SAT with a minimum score of 900, or GED with a minimum score of 500.
Students who have not completed a high school diploma have the option of taking a maximum of 2 courses at a time as an open studies student until the 5 course Open Studies limit is reached. Online students are required to take the Orientation to Online Learning and earn a minimum grade of a B (80%).
At Vanguard College, we value home education and how important it is to students and parents. We recognize how home educating families strive for excellence in educational and spiritual formation, and how the tailored home education experience creates a unique and well-rounded individual.
Understanding that there are many different ways to achieve quality education, we have created many options to continue your education at Vanguard. We strive to personalize the admissions process, and we encourage home educated students to apply. Students will be evaluated on an individual basis, in keeping with the individual and tailored education received at home.
General Admissions Requirements
If you are a Canadian homeschool student, you will need to submit one of the following:
- Transcript - an official transcript from your provincial ministry of education showing proof of the required Grade 12 courses
- Third Party Transcript - such as a Home Educator's Organization
- Portfolio Transcript - a complete list of high school subjects completed, signed by the primary educator, along with: ACT Testing with a minimum score of 20, SAT Testing with a minimum score of 900, or GED with a minimum score of 500
- Vanguard Open Studies Courses - complete a minimum of two, 3-credit courses, with a grade of 2.0 or higher in each course from Vanguard (On-Campus or Online, as well as the Orientation to Online Learning Course (1-credit course).
Contact Enrolment Services at email@example.com for further information.
The information in this section provides direction for International applicants and those residing in Canada who are originally from a non-English country.
Please see the International Students Page for full information on the application process and English language proficiency requirements. It is important to determine what documents you will need to submit ahead of time to meet our submission deadlines.
COVID-19 and vaccine requirements continue to impact travel and border crossing; Vanguard recommends that any student from outside Canada review national requirements.