Applicants from Alberta
Applicants from Alberta must have achieved a valid high school diploma with the completion of a Grade 12 English with a minimum grade of 65% to gain entrance into a degree program.
Students with a Grade 12 English result of less than 65% are welcome to apply for a Certificate program or the Pursue Discipleship program and will be considered on a case by case basis. Upon successful completion of these programs, students are eligible to apply for continuance into a degree program.
Students coming from other post-secondary institutions must provide transcripts indicating good academic standing and a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Applicants from other Provinces or Territories
The following are the standings acceptable as equivalent to Alberta High School Diploma:
- Grade 12 English from British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland Labrador, Northwest Territories, Ontario, Nunavut, and Yukon.
- One year CEGEP from Quebec. Quebec students entering without CEGEP will be accepted into a certificate program until the successful completion of the freshman year, at which time they may register for a degree.
Applicants from the United States
Applicants from the United States must give evidence of possessing a valid Grade 12 diploma with a minimum final average of 60%. They should submit scores on the American College Test (ACT) or the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) if available.
Due to COVID-19, border closures and difficulties for international students, Vanguard will not
be enrolling NEW international students this coming academic year (2020-2021) for on campus classes. Accepted students are able to begin their Vanguard journey online if they so choose. We apologize for the inconvenience and if you have any questions please contact our Enrolment Services.
Please see below for both on-campus and online studies entrance requirements.
Mature Student Status
Applicants 21 years of age or older on Registration Day, who have been away from formal education for a minimum of two years and who can demonstrate their ability to undertake college-level studies are eligible to complete the application process. Each applicant will be considered on an individual basis.
All Mature Students Applicants are required to provide an Official Transcript showing completion of (Grade 12 English) or their equivalencies before they may be admitted to a Diploma or Degree Program of Study.
The best option is to present results of standardized testing, such as Provincial Departmental results, ACT with a minumum score of 20, SAT with a minimum score of 900, or GED with a minimum score of 500.
Students who have not completed a high school diploma have the option to apply as an open studies student, completing two first-year courses with a minimum grade of C. Online students are required to take the Orientation to Online Learning and earn a minimum grade of a B.
At Vanguard College, we value home education and how important it is to students and parents. We recognize how home educating families strive for excellence in educational and spiritual formation, and how the tailored home education experience creates a unique and well-rounded individual.
Understanding that there are many different ways to achieve quality education, we have created many options to continue your education at Vanguard. We strive to personalize the admissions process, and we encourage home educated students to apply. Students will be evaluated on an individual basis, in keeping with the individual and tailored education received at home.
If you are a Canadian homeschool student you will need to submit:
- Transcript - an official transcript from your provincial ministry of education showing proof of the required Grade 12 courses OR
- Portfolio - a Learner Profile & Third Party transcript including a complete list of high school subjects completed, writing samples, and a Third Party transcript
- If a Third Party transcript is not available the following can be provided: ACT Testing with a minimum score of 20, SAT Testing with a minimum score of 900, or GED with a minimum score of 500
- Vanguard Open Studies Courses - complete a minimum of two, 3-credit courses, with a grade of 2.0 or higher in each course from Vanguard (On-Campus or Online, as well as the Orientation to Online Learning Course (1-credit course).
See our Home-Based Learners Profile Requirements for Home Educated Applicants. Or contact Enrolment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
General Admissions Requirements
- You must have a definite experience of Christian conversion, with current evidence of faith in Christ and regular attendance at a local church for at least one year.
- You must portray evidence of sound Christian character and live in accordance with guidelines and standards set out in our Community Standards.
Part of the application process includes acknowledging that you have read and agree to adhere to the Community Conduct Standards of Vanguard College.
Due to COVID-19, border closures and difficulties for international students, Vanguard is not recommending international students apply to on-campus studies. Students are able to begin their Vanguard journey online if they so choose and switch to on-campus at a later date. Please see the Study Online tab below for more information.
For more information on Federal restrictions in place, please visit the Government of Canada's Travel Website
High School Diploma
- Applicants are required to possess the equivalent of a valid Canadian Grade 12 High School Diploma. An official transcript, indicating subjects studied and grades received, must accompany the application. Documents in a language other than English must be accompanied by a notarized English translation and a transcript legend must be provided.
In order to determine preparedness for post-secondary studies, all International students are required to complete a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam.
- An acceptable TOEFL score will be 550 for the paper-based test, 197 on the computer-based test or 86 on the internet test with a minimum score of 21 in each section.
- An acceptable IELTS overall score will be 6.5, and minimum individual band scores of 5.0.
- Vanguard College's Institution Code is 3330.
- For information write to: TOEFL Services, Box 6154, Princeton, NJ 08541-6154, USA or IELTS Enquiries, Bridgewater House, 58 Whitworth Street, Manchester, U.K.
- See websites for more information: TOEFL Canada Website, IELTS Canada Website
Applicants who have completed studies in English equivalent to a Canadian Grade 12 Diploma with a minimum of 60% in all core subjects may be considered for Part B of the application process.
On-Campus Application for Admission Part A includes the following:
- Personal Information including Citizenship
- Application Fee ($100)
- TOEFL or IELTS Score (Official Documentation must be sent in Part B)
- Previous Academic Information including copies of all Transcripts for High School and Post-Secondary Education
- Financial Plan
- Sponsorship Information
On-Campus Application for Admission Part B includes the following:
- Application Fee ($150)
- Form A: Academic Reference (Teacher, Counselor or Dean)
- Form B: Pastor's Reference
- Official High School Transcripts (Notarized English translation and Transcript legend required)
- Official Report of TOEFL or IELTS
- Police Check for Vulnerable Sector
References provided by family members are not acceptable.
Online Students can complete our regular Application for Admission if you are planning on completing all your studies online and will not need a study permit for Canada.
International applicants are only permitted to apply for our September intake.
Part A of the International Application is due:
May 1st for September Intake
Applicants who do not meet the English Language Requirements of TOEFL or IELTS and do not provide complete information in Part A will not be permitted to proceed to Part B.
Part B of the International Application is due:
June 1st for September Intake
Vanguard College is unable to accept applications past the due date.
Please note that the Academic Calendar at Vanguard College runs from September to April.
- Online studies begin on the 15th of any month. Students have until the 8th of the month to register into courses.
We recommend that students have health insurance prior to arriving in Canada until other arrangements can be made.
The Government of Canada does not pay for the medical costs of foreign students. You may be able to apply for AHCIP.
To see if you are eligible to apply for AHCIP click on this link:
For more information about AHCIP click on this link:
Please check the Immigration Canada website regularly for any information pertaining to obtaining a study visa or travel outside of Canada during the course of your studies.
Tuition & Fees
To qualify for the Bachelor of Theology (After Degree/Diploma), an applicant must have completed a Diploma or Degree program from another accredited institution (with a minimum of 60 credits completed). The General Studies courses from the previous studies will be assessed to determine if additional courses will be required. The program could potentially be more than 2 years. Please be prepared to provide course content, syllabi, etc.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR ON-CAMPUS STUDIES
International applicants interested in online studies are not required to complete the two-part application process outlined above. Applicants are required to possess the equivalent of a valid Canadian Grade 12 High School Diploma. An official transcript, indicating subjects studied and grades received, must accompany the application. Documents in a language other than English must be accompanied by a notarized English translation.
Applicants who have studies outside of Canada or USA are required to take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to indicate their proficiency in written and spoken English. A police check will need to be completed before official acceptance. Vanguard Online students must complete the Orientation to Online Learning Course with a minimum grade of B before beginning their studies.
Since you are able to complete your studies online, you can study from wherever you are! That means that a study visa is not required. You can complete our regular application form for admission.
The PAOC GlobalED department has compiled a list of affiliated Bible Training Centres across the globe which you can browse here.
Please note: Vanguard College’s Designated Learning Institution Number is O19283889212