Send me Info

How Student Loans Work

Vanguard College is designated as an eligible institution member under the Canada Student Loan Act. Full-time students in most of our programs are eligible for provincial and federal student loan funding while studying at Vanguard College (except residents of Quebec). Students are advised to apply for their student loan 6-8 weeks before their term start date. Students can apply online with their province of residence. Please confirm with our Enrolment team whether or not your program is eligible for loans.

A portion of loan funding, in most cases, is sent directly to the College. Vanguard College will apply the student’s loan to tuition and fees owed for the semester. If the loan amount is less than the total due, the balance is due no later than 7 days after the first day of class. If the loan amount is in excess of the total due for the semester the College will only request the amount owing for tuition and fees to be sent to the College, and the remainder will go to the student.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is my school code?

I have a Program Cost Form/Program Information Form that needs to be filled out by the school. What do I do?

What is a MSFAA?

This is your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement. It needs to be signed and submitted by the student. The disbursement of the loan will not take place until it has been received properly. Please read and follow the instructions provided with the agreement carefully.

My loan provider is requesting that the College confirm my enrollment. What should I do?

I haven’t received my loan money. What do I do?

I am studying online. Is there a different process?

I have Canada student loans from previous years. How do I keep my loan from going into repayment status?

If you apply for student loans again this year, this will automatically keep your loans from going into repayment. If you are not requesting additional student loans and you are continuing in full-time studies, you must inform your loan providers by filling out a Schedule 2 form. Please stop by the Student Finance Office to request your form.

I have other questions.